Friday, February 5, 2010
Superbowl Sunday - Be Safe and Drive Smart
Super bowl Sunday is the second most likely holiday for alcohol related crashes. The Las Vegas local chapter of Designated Drivers, Inc. is stepping up to make sure they give drivers every opportunity to get home safely this weekend.
In a press release out yesterday, Designated Drivers noted that January 2010 traffic fatalities in Clark county doubled from last year. With that being said, they are encouraging drivers to "Make the Right Call."
Free rides will be available Sunday from Noon until midnight, supported by a grant from the NV Office of Traffic Safety, State Farm Insurance, Cannery Hotel and Casino, Eastside Cannery and the Rampart Casino.
Simply call (702) 456-RIDE. The service provides drivers to transport the client and their car home safely. You must have a car in order to use the service. The service is free and tips are greatly appreciated. Donations can also be made to the organization through their website.
The organization is not encouraging you to anticipate needing the ride, but it is available if you do end up in a situation that prevents you from driving safely.
Some tips they recommend are:
• Designate the driver who doesn’t drink ANY alcohol before the party begins
• Avoid drinking too fast, pace yourself! Alternate alcoholic drinks with soda
• If you do drink more than expected, ask a sober friend to take you home
• Stop your drinking friends from getting behind the wheel, take the keys!
• Be a responsible host: offer non-alcoholic drinks every time, make sure there is plenty of food, stop serving alcohol during the last quarter of the game and switch to coffee and desert.
• Offer to have the drinkers stay over
The Designated Drivers Foundation, Inc. is a Nevada and Arizona 501(3)(c) Non-Profit Organization designed to create awareness about the perils of drinking and driving, educate the public about available driving programs, and fund sensible alternatives to drinking and driving.
To find out more about the organization or to make a donation, visit their website at the below link.
Designated Drivers, Inc.